Monday, October 29, 2012

Altered Cabinet Card Swap

I joined in on an altered cabinet card swap hosted by the wonderful Caroline at Glitter Tart Design.  We signed up for a particular genre of card altering and then were partnered up according to our preference.  I of course picked traditional Halloween colors/palette because I HEART HALLOWEEN!  I didn't have a true cabinet card, so I created my own by using a large format vintage image, shown below.


There was just something about this girl that really called to me to be used for this project, so I agreed!  To who, I don't know, but I agreed.  Initially, before I even found my image, I wanted to do a type of zombie image (probably heavily influenced by my new favorite show The Walking Dead), but when it came down to it, I just couldn't bring myself to alter her in that manner.  We were also to create a pocket or envelope for our card to be housed in, here it is...


I created it from a larger mailing manila envelope, and cut it so that you would see a hint, or peek of the cabinet card contained inside.  I used decorative paper with a spider web pattern, taped the edges with spider web decorative tape and put a skull accent near the top opening.  Contained within this envelope is my altered card...


...and here she is!  I went with a witch motif in the end.  I double printed her image and used pop up dots to raise her up for some dimension.  Gave her a witches hat, painted a black robe, and put a fun crepe paper collar on her.  Accented with a skull and put lots of glitter pen in the background.  It's hard to see in the picture but I added a fun purple hue to her shirt and glittered up her belt too.


I also tried my best to add a witchly green hue to her skin using a variety of Prismacolor colored pencils (my favorite pencils).  They are rich and creamy and blend well.  Here's a closeup of the side view of her too, so you can see some dimension.


Overall I had a lot of fun with this swap and I want to thank Caroline for hosting such a fun theme!  I'm definitely in the market to try another altered cabinet card in the future!  Can't wait to see what the other ladies in the swap have created!

No comments:

Post a Comment